Friday, February 24, 2012

The Academy Awards

I have to admit that I use to be a sucker for the Academy Awards. As an avid movie fan, I’d always watch the entire telecast with a certain amount of giddiness. Why wouldn’t why? After all, it is the “Super Bowl” of the Hollywood film industry. Everyone knows that on Oscar night, movies are celebrated to the highest degree. It’s a spectacle to be sure with its grand presentations, and movie stars at their most glamorous. But after several years, I noticed that I became irrevocably bored with them. In fact, the last time I watched the Oscars in its entirety was when “The Departed” won for Best Picture of 2006. And I'm not alone, viewership of the Academy Awards has steadily decline in the past decade. It has become a stale event due to its overlong running time, lack of innovation and overall predictability.

Needless to say, the 84th Annual Academy Awards will air on Sunday night, and I’m not the least bit excited. I mean, Billy Crystal as host, again? This alone causes my disinterest. Pardon my expression, but isn't it the same ol' song and dance? Now Billy is a master host, but his presence shows a lack of creativity on behalf of the producers. Is it really that hard to find someone new and interesting for the job? I thought Hugh Jackman was a great choice that brought plenty of energy and charm to the dutiful role. Now imagine if Oscar producers could try to replicate that effort every time. Yes, they bombed it miserably last year in an attempt to reach a younger audience, but at least it was something new. And due to low buzz, Sunday's award ceremony isn't expected to be a ratings winner either. If the show's producers want to win back the audience, they should continue to take creative risks.  

Yes, if there's anything in Hollywood that needs a reboot, it's certainly the Oscars. 



The 84th Annual Academy will air on ABC on Sunday, Feb. 26th.

Billy Crystal will host the show for the 9th time. 
The Kodak Theatre is the home of the Academy Awards
              

No comments:

Post a Comment