Friday, April 27, 2012

Video Game Movies


The first blog I posted for the semester was entitled "My First Love". I named it that because I had fallen in love with the movies at a fairly early age. I had become fascinated and intrigued by the stories that were being told on the big-screen. But if the movies were my first love, then I'd have to say video games were my second. I grew up in the 80's and the video game industry was nowhere as popular as it is today. Graphics were nothing but a few blips on the screen. Yet, I was as equally entertained by video games as I was with the Hollywood movie industry.

"Super Mario Bros." is considered one of the worst movies ever made.


Today, video games resemble Hollywood movies in almost every way. The most cinematic titles are pretty much interactive versions of Tinsletown's biggest blockbusters. Games like "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" and "Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception" rival Hollywood's best in terms of sheer spectacle. They manage to engage the player with action segments inspired by scenes shown in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "The Rock". So I find it ironic that Hollywood has turned to video games for source material.


Mark Wahlberg starred as the titular character in the visually stylish, but bland "Max Payne".

Of course, "video game movies" have never been critically acclaimed endeavors. "Super Mario Bros." was the first one and it is generally regarded as one of the worst movies of all time. In addition, more recent titles like "Max Payne" and "Doom" were also critically reviled. For the most part, video game properties are filmed only to capitalize on their own success. However, "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider", "Silent Hill" and "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" are exceptions. They were made by filmmakers who were passionate about the original ideas.

"Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" is arguably the best movie adapation of a video game.

In the fall, "Silent Hill: Revelation" and" Resident Evil: Retribution" will be released in 3D. I doubt either of them will win the Oscar, but I'm sure they'll entertain their respective audiences. Personally, I'm a fan of "Hitman" (2007) which starred Timothy Olyphant as a bald assassin who is a clone. It captured the essence of the game while being similar in style to Luc Besson's "The Transporter". I also liked "Silent Hill" thanks to director Christophe Gans' artistic apporach to the dark material. It's a very bizarre horror film that holds up well on its own. If there's a game I'd like to see adapted to the silver screen, it would be "Gears of War". I could see it being done in the style of "300".

The first image of "Silent Hill: Revelation" (2012) features actress Adelaide Clemens.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment